Liquid/LC100

For the GEEK in you

Saturday, September 16, 2006

The Madness of Me

Here, staring me right now in the face, is a chance to get out. To never come back to Dubai. To stay in Australia forever.

To never be stuck in immovable traffic again. To never be segregated in queues according to nationality. To never be paid differently because of the colour of my skin. To never be refused entry. To never have prostitutes propositioning outside my window. To never despair of ever spiralling rents. To never wonder when I will be thrown out through no fault of my own.

While here in Australia, I can buy a house. A drink. I can receive a letter and know that customs hasn't opened it. I can walk down a street and ask a policeman for directions. I can buy a tram ticket and it'll work on every other form of public transport. I can prosecute if someone discriminates against me - in any context - on the basis of race. I can be a labourer, if i want to, or drive a van, and still earn a handsome wage while receiving respect from society. I can use competitively priced, unfiltered Internet to watch anything, from anywhere. I can choose who will represent me at every level, from the Prime Minister to my local council. I can form a club or society and not have to worry that it meets any preset morality. I can drive too fast and be prosecuted for my negligence. And I can travel anywhere I want in the world with an absolutely bullet proof passport. And know that if I get in trouble overseas, my embassy will move heaven and earth to bail me out.

I can be free.

So why won't I take it?

3 Comments:

Blogger secretdubai said...

Amen.

You make me homesick for the Free West.

4:52 AM  
Blogger BreastImplants said...

Good question.
Why won't you?

1:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, why won't you unless you've been brainwashed or on crack - LOL. Were I you, I'd seriously consider it.

10:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home