Liquid/LC100

For the GEEK in you

Sunday, March 05, 2006

Updates - Short Cuts

Presently in Australia enjoying the sweltering heat of late summer as it starts to cross fade into winter.

Watching American Idol; oddly, first time I've ever really sat down with it and y'know, it's not actually that bad. The live results seem a little crooked, mind, and human nature doesn't always agree with the judges, but it really comes as a surprise to find it compelling television.

Mind you, this isn't because I skipped over it somehow in my smorgasbord of regular watching. Cinema has always come first, but after a lackluster 04 and 05, it seemed time to check out what's playing on the small screen.
{
And how far it has come:
- Nostalgia may paint old comedies as timeless, but surely no one has ever worked harder for chuckles than the cast of Arrested Development.
"I held distinctions in two fields simultaneously, as an analyst AND a therapist. I was, in fact, the world's first analrapist." - Dr. Tobias Funke, MD

- Rest in Peace, Star Trek. Battlestar Galactica has your measure. A scintillating mix of compelling drama, pressing issues and the triumphant return of the gritty, wheezy unreliable space ships of my youth. Oh, and some corking dialogue, too.
"Do you know how useless prayer is? Chanting, and singing, and mucking about with old half-remembered lines of bad poetry? And you know what it gets you? Exactly nothing." - Brother Cavill

- Just when it seems to be spinning its wheels, Season 2 of Lost comes back into the game. If you haven't seen an episode of it by now, for shame. Drop everything, go the videostore and roll up your sleeve for a injection of heroiny goodness.

- Guess it's too late now to hop on now, but for five years, The Shield has been perhaps the most intense - if sometimes unbelievable - drama on television. Watch the very first episode from '02 down to the last scene. And if that last heart-stopping moment doesn't hit you in the chest like a sledgehammer, perhaps you deserve to read KT press releases for five years as punishment.
}

Still into travel, but time and money do not often permit. Perhaps a road trip to Sydney, before it gets too cold.

My old school, St.Mary's Catholic, has an alumni meeting the day I leave. It would figure. It also figures that my classmates who went were the oldest alumni in attendance. We always were the dead generation - and now we have become the scattered ones.

All the good women are married. Soon I will be too old to join the club. Searing thought: are moderate mental illnesses worth revealing to a potential wife? Heck, I haven't even told my parents I have OCD/bipolar. The question of whether I should continues to haunt me.

Thinking of leaving Dubai soon - depends if I want to take up employment in its nascent media. But long term plans are out. And after living there for nearly twenty six years, it feels dashed odd to want to leave. Perhaps one day, if i can gather my thoughts I will write a nice retrospective, warts and all. The scars are really only from the last ten years - before that, before all this sound of fake progress, it was far more idyllic. For now, consolidating my exit gains are primary concerns.

10 Comments:

Blogger BreastImplants said...

Battlestar Galactica, Lost and Arrested Development are the best new shows to grace the shores of Dubai.

It's too bad they don't show Battlestar Galactica anymore but me no worry, I have all the seasons on my PC.

I'd be ecstatic if they showed The Prisoner too.

(Hmmm...St Mary's? I studied at the massive school on the opposite side of the road; The Indian High School - interesting how it reads backwards...but no use denying the damn truth).

9:02 PM  
Blogger marwan said...

I dunno what I would do with Battlestar. Insert-your-favourite-omnipotent-deity bless you, Internets!

Wow, we never saw much of thoes IHS folks, the fencing kind of put us off.

The Prisoner rocked. But what was up with that ending though...

4:59 AM  
Blogger BreastImplants said...

I haven't actually watched The Prisoner all the way through to the end :( I have a few episodes on my PC, and the rest I tried to get are of very poor quality.

I've been so tempted to read the episode guide on one of the fansites; but I'm refraining.

Heh, the fencing inside was worse, at least during my time we could talk to the boys.

A couple of years later they crammed the boys into this area we called "The Jail" (to stop girls and boyys from "mingling")

No wonder half of the kids in my school were so deprived... it didn't matter how bad you looked, the boys were just grateful to leer at woman-flesh.

At least there weren't any wallflowers in the school.

And wow, they showed Brazil on One TV the other day!(sure, they're always ripping off The Movie Channel; but I have the basic Showtime Package; only for TV Land and Paramount) and it was just amazing to see it again after so long.

Ever watched a strange little movie called Videodrome?

7:55 AM  
Blogger marwan said...

I think those episode guides are pretty much required reading if you want to 'get' the Prisoner. You could buy them off Amazon, although they're hideously expensive.

So they erected a Berlin wall in IHS? Interesting. All these crappy attempts to regulate societal morality are doomed to failure. 'Mingling' indeed - its this kind of nonsense which leaves both sexes painfully unequipped to deal with gender contact later in life. Let's not even start with locals.

Have yet to see Brazil, although that poster is something I've always looked for. On the other hand, I caught Videodrome last year and man, that is one nutty-ass movie. I kinda prefer the Fly - if only because I can understand what the hell Cronenberg's on about.

Long Live the New Flesh!

8:40 PM  
Blogger BreastImplants said...

I know what you mean.
I was lucky to have parents who didn't forbid girl-boy mingling.
(not like they had a choice).

If we had an yearbook, I'd be the girl most likely to cohabit with a boy, most likely to partake in illegal drugs and most likely to get pregnant out of state & society sanctioned wedlock.

I have to say, I proved them all wrong.

(I did cohabit with a boy though).

Brazil is a great movie.

5:20 AM  
Blogger marwan said...

Your ideas intrigue me, and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

You are probably the girl mothers warn people about.

7:33 AM  
Blogger BreastImplants said...

Yeah, the nails scare most people off.

I don't club much really; always been a bar person too.
But friends prefer dancing to boozing at bars (gay men are just too picky).

You'd probably see me at Lotus One or iBO, sitting on the ground near the bar (with a pint of Stella) in sneakers and ripped jeans (I don't rip them; general wear and tear).

They play decent music at iBO, underground dance and house mostly. Plus they don't have a dress code, you can be dressed like a tramp and no one cares.

Double Decker is good on Friday; 11 Dhs the whole day and night for anything.

The Apartment apparently plays the eighties on wednesday night and no cover charge.
I never go to places where you gotta pay an entrance, so Trilogy is out, so is The Apartment on Thursdays.

It's a waste of money.

Wanna watch drunk British expats make a fool of themselves? Go to Jimmy Dix on Thursday.

Last time I was there, some sleazy Brit man touched my tattoo and told me it was sexy.

I wanted to "put a hurt on him" (as Russell Peters would say), but a friend held me back.

I did do a neat impersonation of Trinity's flying kick though.

P.S. Huey Lewis kicks ass.
Nothing beats my eighties music collection though.

12:16 PM  
Blogger marwan said...

I get stick from my sindhi friends because I don't go to their awesome clubs incl. Trilogy and Boudoir(or something). But thanks for the review.

Russell Peters was prety damn funny at first. But he's essentially a one trick pony; got a vid of him last year and he just doesn't have any new material.

Oh? What's that? I do believe I hear a 80s music face off coming.

8:43 PM  
Blogger BreastImplants said...

You aren't missing anything.
And since when have Sindhis been the embodiment of good taste?

American desis are too westernized to make fun of real desis. Now, I think you can only be truly inspired if you either lived in India or the UAE.

LOL...bring it on; the 80s music face off thing.

11:17 AM  
Blogger marwan said...

It's all about upbringing. A good desi should be familiar with all the crap that is Asian culture, and therefore should have an innate sense of when to poke fun at it. Goodness Gracious Me didn't do too bad a job a few years ago.

Btw, you NEED to see the season finale of Galactica season 2. Their writer is one ballsy sonofabitch.

6:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home